Using roster variables

Why can’t I use variables that I have created in a roster in an enabling condition for other variables.
For example, age (from a roster) uses it in an enabling condition for variable: Access to education (which is not in a roster). I am getting this error message: age does not exits in this current context.

Solly,

you are getting an error precisely for the reason you are explaining yourself. Variable AGE is in the roster, so it maybe is having values 37, 33, 12, and 3. From the standpoint of the question outside the roster - it is a vector, and so you can’t write expressions like AGE<15. It is nonsense. From the standpoint of a question inside the same roster, however, a condition like this would make perfect sense, since the value of the variable will default to the age of the current person.

You are jumping into conclusion that “I can’t use variables that I have created in a roster in an enabling condition for other variables” which is incorrect. However the syntax will depend on what you want to achieve and we do not have enough information to advise you on this.

There is nothing wrong with the software with this respect. It is working as designed.

Best, Sergiy