Designer allows answer options to be drawn from reusable categories, but this is not true for fixed rosters.
This should affect only Designer.
While this feature may be generally useful, I think the greatest utility would be for agricultural surveys where:
- Capture main crop on a plot
- Capture all crops grown on a plot
- Capture total production for each crop
The first two could clearly use a reusable category. The last–a fixed roster–should use the same reusable category, but cannot, since there’s no mechanism in Designer to designate a reusable cateogory as the source.
This is useful for most agricultural surveys or surveys with a strong agricultural component.
A few surveys that may benefit from this:
- Enquête Harmonisée sur les Conditions de Vie des Ménages (EHCVM). The first wave goes to the field in a week or so for many countries. The second wave will begin in April 2022.
- Nigeria Genernal Household Survey (GHS), an LSMS survey, scheduled for 2022.
The current work-around is to populate fixed rosters by copying and pasting the items in reusable categories for crops.
This type of feature is available in:
- ODK (and its forks)
(Links to follow)
It would have two effects:
- Make easier the creation of fixed rosters of this type
- Reduce the scope for errors that arise from failing to update fixed roster sources to match changes in the crop list used in reusable categories
This should not imply any breaking changes.
This feature would benefit most agricultural surveys or surveys with a strong agricultural component.
No limits or conflicts