Source for Rosters

I am planning to collect crops cultivated by farmers and out of these crops which are sold through particular channel.

1. Question: What are the names (and of course number) of crops are cultivated by farmer?
    For this I have prepared first question with pre-defined long list of all possible crops that farmer can grow and provided through categorical multi select question. e.g. list of 30 crops
    Let’s say, 5 crops are selected from the list.

2. Question: What is the area under cultivation and harvest for crops cultivated?
    For this, I have used a Crop Cultivated Roster (CCR) which collects the area under cultivation and quantity harvested, for the crops selected in Q1 above. i.e. I USED ABOVE Q1 AS SOURCE FOR THIS ROSTER (CCR).
    Now, let’s say details of 5 crops are collected.

3. Question: Out of these 5 crops (cultivated), how many (& their names) are sold through particular channel, say, commodity exchange?
    For this, I have created Categorical Multi Select Question LINKED with first roster i.e. Crop Cultivated Roster (CCR), which will give me the list of crops sold through commodity exchange.
    Let’s say, 3 crops are selected.

4. Question: What is the quantity sold and price realized for each of these 3 crops sold through commodity exchange?
    For this, I intend to use the above Q3 (LINKED MULTI SELECT QUESTION) as a source for the second roster named SALE ROSTER (SR).
    HOWEVER, I AM NOT ABLE TO GET Q3 AS A SOURCE IN THE ROSTER SR.
    PLEASE HELP IN THIS REGARDS.

IN A NUTSHELL, I WANT TO KNOW CAN I USE “LINKED” MULTI SELECT QUESTION AS A SOURCE FOR THE ROSTER?
IF YES, WHY I AM NOT GETTING IT AS A DROPDOWN OPTION IN THE SECOND ROSTER?

P.S. Till question No. 2 there is section 1 and thereafter section 2.

Nitin,

1. the answer to your “nutshell” question is NO. Linked questions may not be used as a trigger for a roster.

2. the linked question trigger should not be necessary for the design you described.

3. OPTION A is to place disposition immediately in the crop details (for each crop, “Have you sold this crop? Y/N” if yes ask amount, price and any other details you want to know.

OPTION B is to have two rosters with screener multiselect question between them. Both triggered by the same crops question, but second roster with additional restriction of being selected as a crop being traded. This option will allow you to ask questions on sales in a different section. Survey Solutions will merge the two rosters automatically on export.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin

Thanks a lot Sergiy for the quick reply.

I tried option A and was able to solve the issue. However, I could not do the option B (maybe because I am pretty new to Survey Solutions - using since yesterday only). Could you please provide any example demonstrating option B?

Thanks in advance.

Nithin, option B is demonstrated by the following example: “Public Example Crop sales”:https://designer.mysurvey.solutions/questionnaire/details/6144a19509bd4b218519254e6e36c42f/chapter/4d3a8771556647219423cc17c0727c5f/group/4d3a8771556647219423cc17c0727c5f
Best, Sergiy Radyakin