Should the questions with a single possible answer be asked during an interview?

Hi!

Sometimes designing a questionnaire you realize that for a certain trajectory a certain question has only a single possible answer. Typical examples are:

• asking if the person is married if his/her role in the household is ‘spouse’;
  • asking completed level of education for babies of 1 year old;
  • asking if the person is still alive when he/she is your respondent.

Should the questions with a single possible answer be asked during an interview?

• should not be asked: they are a waste of time of the respondent and interviewer;
  • should be shown and the answer marked by the interviewer without asking the respondent;
  • may be asked and I will explain the reason in the thread below;
  • may be asked, but I don’t know why.

0 voters

Thank you for participating!

With the option ‘Should be shown and the answer marked by the interviewer’ is this referring to the interviewer or the interviewer app?
My preference would be that it should be shown, but the answer already be filled in without any need for an action from interviewer.

I voted for not showing.

If you would like to display the answer of a question with a single possible answer (Based on previous answers or prefilled information), you could show this information to the enumerator by using Static Texts. This way a potential confusion can be avoided: Questions are only there to be filled in by the enumerator.

1 Like

Good suggestion, I like it.

My vote is to ask add these type of questions and should be asked during the interview. In my experience, enumerators make a lot of mistakes and these type of questions help the HQ or the supervisor to check for the consistency.

Shouldn’t this mean the question should not be asked in order to reduce the chance of the interviewer making a mistake?
I’d rather not put the onus on the supervisors to pick this up and make the questionnaire ensure as much data quality as possible without extra supervision.