Set of Multi-Select Tick Box Questions with filtered options

Hi, I am trying to setup multi-select (tick-box) questions on diet, where I would like to capture all food groups eaten in a complete day.

Q1: What did you eat or drink when you woke up?
Option 1, Option 2, Option 3

Now, if Option 3 was selected, I would like to set up Q2 to have only Option 1 and 2 as follows:

Q2: Did you have anything to eat or drink in the afternoon?
Option 1, Option 2

I am trying to use FILTER. But have not got it working.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Amrita,

1. I don’t see the logic in your setting: a person may drink, for example, water in the morning, in the afternoon, and in the evening. So she will mention this as the answer to Q1, Q2, and Q3. What will the interviewer do then if it is removed after answering the first question?

2. if you still insist, then yes, filter is the right way to do it. However “have not got it working” doesn’t give much for support.

3. another user, Raju has a “similar case”:http://support.mysurvey.solutions/customer/portal/questions/17116468 in the forum. See if you can help each other.

Best, Sergiy

Amrita,

Swindale and Bilinsky, 2006 ask correctly “Which foods did you eat yesterday?”, which makes sense, is convenient for the respondent and yields sufficient information for the diversity index computation. It seems like you are trying to improve on that and ruin the idea. Based on your description, your third question must sound like: “Tell me all the foods that you ate for dinner that you didn’t also eat for either or both breakfast or lunch.” Too complicated to understand and to follow this order for the respondent.

It is possible to do what you are requesting, but this is not the case where I would recommend it.

Regards, Sergiy

===================================================================
For those playing along at home, the exact question wording in [Swindale and Bilinsky, 2006] is:

Now I would like to ask you about the types of foods that you
or anyone else in your household ate yesterday during the day
and at night.
READ THE LIST OF FOODS. PLACE A ONE IN THE BOX IF
ANYONE IN THE HOUSEHOLD ATE THE FOOD IN QUESTION,
PLACE A ZERO IN THE BOX IF NO ONE IN THE HOUSEHOLD ATE
THE FOOD.

Hi, Sorry should have provided more information. I think my case is different as I am trying to filter options from one multi-select question to another (Q1, Q2). Clarifications:

-The questions are meant to capture the ‘Household Dietary Diversity Score’ [FANTA, Swindale and Bilinsky, 2006]. The aim is to capture all food items consumed in one entire day; where the interviewer needs to probe the respondent about the morning, afternoon, etc to cover all groups.

-Once the food group is identified it does not need to show up again. These set of questions will be used to create ‘one list of all items consumed that day’ so if the person drinks coffee in the morning and then in the afternoon it needs to be counted only once.

-To achieve this, I am trying to setup a series of multi-select tick box questions; where filtered options come up with the filter based on responses from the first question onwards.

So if Q1 is termed as variable V1; Q2 is termed as variable V2. I tried the following:

@optioncode!=(int?)optioncode.(V1)
Error: Identifier expected

@optioncode.IsNoneOf(@rowcode.V1)

I think what I am doing wrong/missing on is how to correctly specify the filter for V2 to not include the responses from V1 as the array of options.

Thanks
A

Dear Sergiy

Thanks for your feedback on the nature of the question itself; much appreciated! Useful to see that there is learning beyond Survey Solutions on this forum.

I understand your point. Not being a food security expert myself, I am on the end of programming and setting up the survey and data analysis. This approach came out of discussions with a food security team.

I suppose what you are advocating is that the question from Swindale and Bilinsky(2006) is asked for the entire day in its original form.

What we are attempting (and I suppose we have not thought through if this will improve/ruin the responses) is to ask this as a set of questions; for the morning, then the afternoon, evening, and for the night. So the enumerator is instructed to ask several questions but with an added instruction of-
‘If the same food or drink is mentioned more than once, you do not need to mark it again after the first time’. We are aiming to pilot the approach-so it is possible that this may not be the best way.

I will discuss your suggestion with the team and see if they agree to revert to the original approach.

Dear Amrita, please update the forum on the final decision for this situation. In the absence of other issues here I will close the case. Sincerely, Sergiy

See here:
http://support.mysurvey.solutions/customer/en/portal/articles/2663547

Hi Sergiy

Sorry for the delayed response. I think there was convincing reason to revert to your suggestion. I have decided to go ahead with this; but the team has decided on specific instructions to interviewers to achieve what we want.

If possible, I would still like to work out how to use filtered responses more generally in a questionnaire in survey solutions.

Many Thanks for your help.
Amrita

Hi all,

I think I have same problem Amrita had.

I have 3 questions based on months.
My first question is:
Q1:In what months of the year are the business making low profits?
[Enumerator: if the business has been in operation for less than 12 months, consider only the months of operation. Mark all that apply]

Second question is:
Q2:In what months of the year are the business making high profits?
[Enumerator: if the business has been in operation for less than 12 months, consider only the months of operation. Mark all that apply]

I want to filter options of Q2 with Q1 options’. If respondent choose for exemple January && March && October, I want to have in the answer options in Q2 only February, April, May, June, July, August, September, November, December.

Thanks for you help