Ranking question - avoid repetition in answer

Dear all,

I am hoping to get some help with a ranking question that we will use to evaluating 4 food product types with different flavours. I would like our participants to indicate their 1st preferred food product, 2nd, 3rd and least liked product (a top 4).

We have created 4 multiple choice questions (with the answer categories: product 1, 2, 3, 4) and would like know if it possible to limit the option to select 1 product type that was already selected in a previous question, e.g. if my preferred product = product 1, it cannot be my second preferred product.
Is there a validation rule for this?

Thank you in advance!

Hi,

Please refer to section about Answers Filtering at this documentation page https://support.mysurvey.solutions/questionnaire-designer/questions/categorical-multi-select-question

You can either filter out categories or write validation rule.

Dear @alfeg,

Thank you for your quick reply. I had a look at the page with the example of ā€˜filter out categoriesā€™ with age, but with this information I still do not know exactly how to apply it to my question. Something like: ā€œvariable_nameā€ != @current ?

Thanks again!

Dear @brendakok88

I suggest you:

1. Your should have four questions should be type ā€œsingle selectionā€ each one with all the options (product one, two, three, etc.)
  2. Your first question donā€™t have any one filter.
  3. Your next questions should have the filter @optioncode != NameVariablePrevious

Thanks.

Dear @kv700032,

Thank you for your reply. That was exactly what I was looking for. It works perfectly and I have added " && @optioncode != NameVariablePrevious " for the 3rd and 4th question as well, so all previously selected answers do not appear again.

Thanks a lot for your quick reply and suggestion!

Kind regards,
Brenda

1 Like

Brenda, you are overcomplicating the task. This is a simple case of ordered multiple selection. Just set the flag to track the order of selection for this single multiselect question and Survey Solutions will do the rest.
Best, Sergiy

1 Like