Randomizing options in a categorical question

Our user Hao Xue has sent us the following question:

We are working on a list experiment, which requires to randomly show the options of a question in a questionnaire to different interviewees. I want to know whether it is possible in Survey Solution. Thank you very much! For example: the first and the second versions of options of one question are as follows.

P.D01. How many of these conditions you would feel comfortable conducting a physical exam on a patient with this condition. Again, please don’t tell me which ones you are comfortable with, just the number of conditions you’re okay with.

Version 1:
1 = Neurological disorder
2 = Leprosy
3 = Patient with poor hygiene
4 = Foreigner (unable to speak Chinese)
□1 □2 □3 □4 □ Prefer not to answer

Version 2:
1 = Patient with poor hygiene
2 = Leprosy
3 = Neurological disorder
□1 □2 □3 □4 □ Prefer not to answer

I am not sure how a categorical question be formulated as “How many…
Please elaborate what TYPE of question is that.

In the absence of any other comment or clarification from Hao Xue, I have put it the way I see it to the following example questionnaire: “PUBLIC EXAMPLE Randomize question content”

I am sorry to make it confused! Basically we want to randomly show the order of options in a question, but I don’t know how to do it in the Survey Solution.

For example, we can show version 1 to the first interviewee and version 2 to the second interviewee. Of course, there are also other versions if there are four options in a question.

Version 1
1 = Neurological disorder
2 = Leprosy
3 = Patient with poor hygiene

Version 2
1 = Patient with poor hygiene
2 = Leprosy
3 = Neurological disorder

The example questionnaire: “PUBLIC EXAMPLE Randomize question content” shows how one of the two versions of the question can be shown. You turn that numeric into a categorical with the options as shown in your paragraph above.

Certainly. You can include more, adjusting the probabilities in the enabling conditions (they are 50/50 in the case of only 2 versions provided, but 33/33/34 and 25/25/25/25, etc as the number of versions increases).