Problem with pre-loaded data in new version 5.26

Hi there,

I think we’ve picked up a bug on your version 5.26.

We have a Questionnaire similar to the following layout.

We have a homestead at the top level, then we have a list of all the households that belong to the homestead and the households is presented through a roster that is linked to the household list. Then we have a list of all the members within the household roster which is also presented through a roster that is linked to the members list.

The problem that we’ve picked up is in the following scenario.

Say you have a homestead with an ID of 10000, and at this homestead you have two households, ‘AA’ & ‘AB’. In household ‘AA’ you have 5 members, lets call them ‘Member 1’, ‘Member 2’, ‘Member 3’, ‘Member 4’ & ‘Member 5’ in this order. In Household ‘AB’ you have 3 members, and they also appear in household ‘AA’, lets say ‘Member 1’, ‘Member 3’ & ‘Member 5’ also in this order. When we try to upload the pre-loaded data in version 5.26 we receive an error message, however in version 5.25.50 we don’t receive the error message when we upload the exact same files.

What we’ve found in the new version is that if you have the same members appearing in multiple household at the same homestead and the members are not listed in the same order then we receive the error message but in the old version 5.25.50 this was not a problem.

I’ve uploaded a test questionnaire to the demo server ‘Simple Homestead Roster’ and below is the test data that I’ve used to pre-load the questionnaire.

Simple Homestead Roster.txt
interview__id = 1, bsid = 10000, hh_list__0 = AA, hh_list__1 = AB, hh_list__2 = ‘’, hh_list__3 = ‘’, hh_list__4 = ‘’, ssSys_IRnd = ‘’, interview__key = ‘’ has__errors = ‘’, interview__status = ‘’

hh_roster.txt
hh_roster__id = 1, hh_list = AA, mem_list__0 = Member 1, mem_list__1 = Member 2, mem_list__2 = Member 3, mem_list__3 = Member 4, mem_list__4 = Member 5, interview__id = 1, interview__key = ‘’

hh_roster__id = 2, hh_list = AB, mem_list__0 = Member 1, mem_list__1 = Member 3, mem_list__2 = Member 4, mem_list__3 = ‘’, mem_list__4 = ‘’, interview__id = 1, interview__key = ‘’

mem_roster.txt
mem_roster__id = 1, mem_list = Member 1, q1 = ‘’, hh_roster__id = 1, interview__id = 1, interview__key = ‘’

mem_roster__id = 2, mem_list = Member 2, q1 = ‘’, hh_roster__id = 1, interview__id = 1, interview__key = ‘’

mem_roster__id = 3, mem_list = Member 3, q1 = ‘’, hh_roster__id = 1, interview__id = 1, interview__key = ‘’

mem_roster__id = 4, mem_list = Member 4, q1 = ‘’, hh_roster__id = 1, interview__id = 1, interview__key = ‘’

mem_roster__id = 5, mem_list = Member 5, q1 = ‘’, hh_roster__id = 1, interview__id = 1, interview__key = ‘’

mem_roster__id = 1, mem_list = Member 1, q1 = ‘’, hh_roster__id = 2, interview__id = 1, interview__key = ‘’

mem_roster__id = 2, mem_list = Member 3, q1 = ‘’, hh_roster__id = 2, interview__id = 1, interview__key = ‘’

mem_roster__id = 3, mem_list = Member 5, q1 = ‘’, hh_roster__id = 2, interview__id = 1, interview__key = ‘’

Could you kindly get back to me regarding this issue?

Kind Regards
Eugene Ehlers

Eugene, this is probably not the file that you uploaded previously to Survey Solutions. Did you mean to send another file? Please check. Sergiy

Dear Sergiy,

The data that I’ve sent you in my previous message was a simplified format (more readable) of my files because I can’t attache the actual files to this message, But here are the actual data in my files. Alternatively, please provide me a email address then I can email you the tab delimited files.

“Simple Homestead Roster.txt”
interview__id bsid hh_list__0 hh_list__1 hh_list__2 hh_list__3 hh_list__4 ssSys_IRnd interview__key has__errors interview__status
1 10000 AA
2 20000 AA AB
3 30000 AA

“hh_roster.txt”
hh_roster__id hh_list mem_list__0 mem_list__1 mem_list__2 mem_list__3 mem_list__4 interview__id interview__key
1 AA Member 1 Member 2 Member 3 1
1 AA Member 1 Member 2 Member 3 Member 4 Member 5 2
2 AB Member 1 Member 2 Member 3 2
1 AA Member 1 3

“mem_roster.txt”
mem_roster__id mem_list q1 hh_roster__id interview__id interview__key
1 Member 1 1 1
2 Member 2 1 1
3 Member 3 1 1
1 Member 1 1 2
2 Member 2 1 2
3 Member 3 1 2
4 Member 4 1 2
5 Member 5 1 2
1 Member 1 2 2
2 Member 3 2 2
3 Member 5 2 2
1 Member 1 1 3

Kind Regards
Eugene Ehlers

Eugene,

please send the exact file you are trying to upload to support@mysurvey.solution. Exact doesn’t mean you need to submit the actual addresses or names of persons, but create an example with a few households/members, with which the problem you are facing can be replicated. So we are expecting the zip file. We will have a look at the file.

Most likely it is the numbering issue. See this article:
http://support.mysurvey.solutions/customer/en/portal/articles/2751253-numbering-in-subordinate-rosters-during-preloading?b_id=12728
especially item #4, since you are using lists, but I can’t see anything apparent right away. Perhaps remove from the header the variables you don’t preload to simplify the matter.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin

Dear Eugene,

thank you very much for submitting the data. We have replicated the issue and are working on the fix for it.

Best, Sergiy

Dear Sergiy,

I’ve emailed the zip file to Support (support@mysurvey.solutions) as requested.

In my opinion, I don’t believe that this is a numbering issue in the files because the files upload correctly without any issues on Survey Solutions version 5.25.50 but on version 5.26 they produce an error message.

Also if I use different names for the members in household ‘AB’ in the zip file I sent you eg. Member 7, Member 8 and member 9 (instead of Member 1, Member 3 and Member 5) then the files upload correctly as well on version 5.26

Kind Regards
Eugene Ehlers

Dear Sergiy,

Has there been any feedback on my last mail that I send to Support with the zip file data that does not want to upload in the Simple Homestead Roster Questionnaire on the Demo server?

Kind Regadrs
Eugene Ehlers

Dear Eugene,

thank you for writing to us. The example file that you provided contained the following problem: the roster trigger question for the members contained names: “Member 1”, “Member 2”, “Member 3” for the “AB” household, while the members file contained the names “Member 1”, “Member 3”, “Member 5” for the same household. These names are expected to be the same, since you are preloading information about these people. Once you resolve this inconsistency, the file will preload fine.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin

Dear Eugene, avoid preloading members (or any other roster items) with the same names. If the data is already collected in that way, make it differ naturally by adding suffixes Jr, Sr, etc, or artificially by adding PIDs to the names. Best, Sergiy

Dear Sergiy,

Thank you for your reply and that was a mistake in the files but that did not resolve my issue.

I have corrected the files and mailed them again. Please would you have a look at the files again. If I load that exact same file in version 5.25.50 of survey solutions it works perfectly fine but in you current version 5.26.30 I still receive the same error.

“Error during import of interview with identifying questions Member 1, Member 2, Member 3, Member 4, Member 5. InterviewerId , QuestionnaireId bc88b7e8b3434d7b9321642f34f1b3f9$1, Exception: Index must be within the bounds of the List. Parameter name: index”

The problem is that we have two different households at the same location. The one household ‘AA’ has 5 members where as the other household ‘AB’ has 3 members.

The three members in household ‘AB’ are also belonging to household ‘AA’. The problem with version 5.26 is that if the members in household ‘AA’ was listed according to age as ‘Ben 48’, ‘Sean 45’, ‘Jane 40’, ‘Claire 32’ & ‘Mike 12’
and the members in household ‘AB’ was listed according to age as follow ‘Ben 48’, ‘Claire 32’ & ‘Mike 12’, this is when we receive the error message in version 5.26 but in version 5.25.50 this worked perfectly fine.

The reason for this is because ‘Claire 32’ & ‘Mike 12’ who are the same members in both household ‘AA’ and household ‘AB’ but in household ‘AA’ ‘Claire 32’ is listed according to her age at position 4 in the list and at household ‘AB’ she is listed at position 2 in the list and the same applies for ‘Mike 12’, in household ‘AA’ he is listed at position 5 in the list and in household ‘AB’ he is listed at position 3 in the list.

Could you kindly have a re look at the new files I sent you and let me know if there is any issues with the files or with Survey Solutions.

Kind Regadrs
Eugene Ehlers

Dear Sergiy,

Has there been any feedback on the last information I emailed through on 6 March 2018 regarding the error message when uploading the file?

Kind Regards
Eugene Ehlers

Dear Sergiy

I’m sorry, that makes no sense what so ever. Why would I want to rename the same individual belonging to two different households in the same homestead.

That is not a solution to the problem but merely a work around.

Kind Regards
Eugene Ehlers