Multi-select question: base category title on answer to previous text question

Dear All,

I would like to ask which crops a farmer grew were irrigated. Q1 asks which crops were grown in a multi-select (yes/no) categorical question, with last category “Other” to be specified in Q2, a Text question. Q3 about irrigation is a second multi-select (checkbox) categorical question with the same pre-listed crops as Q1. I filter the categories in Q3 to show only those crops that were indicated in Q1. My question is whether I can somehow replace the “Other” category in Q3 by the specification given in Q2? I tried replacing the title of the “Other” category by %Q2%, but that didn’t work.

I’d like to avoid using a roster, as there are no other follow up questions regarding crops (and there are few other crops planted besides the pre-listed ones, so no need for the flexibility a roster would offer of multiple other crops). Below I listed an example of what I hoped the question sequence could look like.

Q1. Which crops did you grow in the last 12 months?
1 Cassava
2 Maize
99 Other (specify)

Q2. Please specify other crop.
“Tomatoes”

Q3. Which of these crops did you irrigate in the last 12 months?
1 Cassava
2 Maize
99 Tomatoes

Filter: Q1.Yes.Contains(@optioncode)

I’m curious to learn if something like this is possible. Many thanks in advance for any pointers!

Sebastiaan

See, "Where a substitution may occur?" in the "Text substitution" article .

The simplest would probably be to ask Q3 without the 99 option. Then have
Q4: Was %Q2% also irrigated in the last 12 months?
(if Q2 is answered).

Thank you Sergiy, also for the link to the text substitution article.

Best wishes,

Sebastiaan