Map displayded on the devices to capture gps questions

Hi everybody,
Our team of GIS have been working with the coordenates downloaded from gps questions previously captured by our interviewers and devices.

They have asked me if is any possibility that the map which is dispayded in the tablet be a special map prepared for them (uploaded to the server maybe) that contain for example the number of ID or land registry of the parcel and when we download coordinates (which would be captured by the devices) we also can download the ID number of parcel asociated.

We work with a local server.
Any idea or coments will be welcome…

You can overlay the plot boundaries on the TPK map (with corresponding IDs). In that case these texts will be visible when the interviewers zoom the maps.

Once you download the point coordinates you pass it to the GIS team and they will run the point-in-polygon routine to determine to which plot the point belongs (ID).
Not the other way around.

Ok thank you Sergiy I understood your post.
I don´t know if I was clear in the post above so just in case
I will clarify what I was talking about. I talked about the map that display the divice from Google (I think) in GPS type question is there any possibility to modify or improve that map?. or is this something about we can´t have influence in anyway

Users can’t influence the map which is displayed in the GPS question after capturing the coordinates.

@aortiz_dd, when you talk about modifying or improving the map, who is the user: the interviewer or the person preparing the map? If the interviewer, Serigy’s right. The interviewer can only provide the information expected (allowed) by the geography question using the map. If the person preparing the map, then the map can contain whatever information/layers is allowed by the map format used. But, again, the interviewer can only “add” whatever info the geography question allows (e.g., single point, set of points, polygon, polylines, etc.). (Note: I put add in quotes because the data exported from the geography question is not a new map, but instead coordinates or lines that could be added to some map/GIS system via the usual GIS tools.)

Alicia has written specifically:

The map as shown in the GPS question is not configurable.
Neither by the designer, nor by the interviewer.

Hello,

I have a question related to this post. We are using Survey Solutions for an evaluation of a land intervention in Morocco. We would like our enumerators to ask respondents to verify the contours/outline of a plot of land. We have uploaded custom .tpk basemaps with the polygons representing the plot outlines overlayed onto satellite imagery, and assigned them to specific interviewers. However, it would be preferable to assign a single map to each interviewer with maybe 20 of cases (plot outlines) visible in a limited geographic area, rather than having to create individual .tpk maps per case/observation. The problem is that we haven not been able to identify a way to automatically zoom in on the specific plot/observation using the geography function (rather, it zooms in on the full map extent, and then the interviewer would have to manually zoom in to find the correct case/plot outline – see attached tablet screenshot

). We have also pre-filled the centroid of each plot into the cover of the survey, but we cannot find a way to have that centroid overlaid onto the custom .tpk basemap with the plot outline within the geography question itself. Is this possible?

Thanks so much,
Sara

Dear Sara,

welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing the description of your usage of the digital maps with Survey Solutions. You’ve done a great job overlaying the plot boundaries onto the base map along with their labels.

Yes, it is designed to zoom to the map extent, and no, there is no user-controllable way to set up a zoom or center or otherwise control how the map will be rendered when the interviewer opens the map in a geography question. At least not known to me, and at least for the current version.

No. A geography question cannot be preloaded. See:

Thanks so much @sergiy for your response. So it seems like the only way to zoom in on the specific plot is if we use the beta functionality for loading and overlaying shapefiles directly onto tablets described here; is that correct?

I am not sure if this would be preferred by the enumerators. Since you can work only:

• with a single shapefile at a time, and
  • shapefiles need to be managed manually, not through the HQ.

Correspondingly, there will be a lot of confusion (who should get what file, when, what to do when the reassignment happens to a different interviewer, when to switch them on the tablets, etc). Given that you’ve indicated that each interviewer will be working with some 20 assignments I didn’t think this would be feasible.

Is this part of a World Bank Impact Evaluation projects line?