Linking Questionnaires

I’m working on an investigation project that involves developing two questionnaires. One for the parent and household and other for one of the sons. The son is selected randomly from the list of total sons, including those that live or not in the same household. My team wants to do the questionnaires separately, because the son may not be living in the same house and it might take time to contact them. Also the two questionnaires are paid separately.
My team wants to know if there is any way of linking the information in the two questionnaires automatically, without having to repeat the same questions again. Also, without reasign the son questionnaire with prefilled information from the parent questionnaire received. If there is any way of doing this, we would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Hi @antovignolo,

In Belize, we recently implemented something similar to what I believe you wish to do.

First, we did a listing of buildings and dwellings in a particular area. Afterwards, we wished to create “Dwelling Questionnaires” for all the dwellings previously identified. A summary of what we did is as follows:

1. Created two questionnaire templates: a building-level questionnaire and a dwelling-level questionnaire.

2. Periodically downloaded building-level questionnaire data and filtered for the identified dwelling units, which should get a dwelling questionnaire.

3. Used the Survey Solutions API service to create an assignment for each identified dwelling.

• We used the interview__id from the building-level “parent” questionnaire and appended it to the dwelling-level “child” questionnaire. We defined a variable in the dwelling-questionnaire called “parent_id”, where we appended the mentioned interview__id from the parent building.
  4. We used a relational database to keep track of the dwelling-level questionnaires that had already been created and those which were still pending.

5. We repeated steps 2-4.

This has worked quite well for us, given that we are doing a type of two-phased collection such as the one you described. We have also done this same procedure to an even more similar use-case to yours: for doing COVID-19 contact tracing in the early days of the pandemic. We created children questionnaires from a source infected patient. An infected person was interviewed and asked to list their recent contacts. Questionnaires were created for the contacts who were considered of high interest based on some specific criteria.

Let me know if this is helpful to you.

3 Likes

Thank you for your response!
Exactly, this would work perfect for us. Do you have an example of the code you use in the API?

Hi @antovignolo.

In my organization, we use R, so I can provide a simplified version of the R code we use. However, kindly indicate which code do you want to see

1. Data export and download.
  2. Data filtering and preparation.
  3. Assignment generation and tracking.

Let me know all of which you would like to see a simplified example for and I would be happy to assist.