linking pre-filled data and new data

We are returning to survey people who have already been surveyed, and are looking for a way to make a comprehensive list of members in the household, including those from our pre-filled data and possibly new members.

The structure we currently have in mind is a roster of pre-filled names, and a question that asks “Is ____ currently a member of the household?” for each. Then we ask whether any new people have joined the household, and collect information on these new people in a separate roster.

Is there a way to combine all of the people from the pre-filled list who are still in the household and any new members into a new list?

Thanks!

Dear Abbie, just let the interviewers modify the trigger question and the roster. Then new members can be appended resulting in an actualized list of household members.

Survey Solutions does not combine lists or impute values of questions. So if your questionnaire contains known and new members separately, they will co-exist in parallel until the data is exported. After that you can append the lists using a statistical package.

Best, Sergiy.

Thanks Sergiy. Can you clarify how I can append new members to create a current list? I assume you mean that we could append the new members at the time of data collection? We ask follow-up questions about household members throughout the survey so we need the known and new members together in one roster, if that is possible. But I haven’t yet found a way to do this. Thanks!

Abbie

Dear Abbie,

as I wrote “After that [the data is exported from Survey Solutions]… you can append the lists using a statistical package.”

In Stata you can do it with the append command:
http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?append

Other functionality is available in other packages.

Best, Sergiy

Hi Sergiy,

Thanks. I know we can append in Stata. What I am trying to do is append during data collection so that we can have a complete roster of household members to use throughout the survey. I am sure there must be a way to do this but I can’t figure out how.

What we have is:

1. A multi-select question to select which pre-filled household members are still members of the household.
  2. A list question with all members of the household that serves as the source question for household rosters throughout the survey.

What we want is to pull the selected household members from #1 into the list we make in #2. Right now we are making enumerators re-type all of the names from #1 into #2, which is time consuming and leaves a lot of room for error. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

Abbie

Abbie,

A linked question allows selection from the options drawn from a single source. It doesn’t allow selection from two sources. I am aware of no functionality in Survey Solutions that would permit to append two open lists dynamically into a single list. Furthermore, I think this is not my ignorance, but the fact that it goes against many established Survey Solutions rules: combined list may overshoot the length limit, original list may (and probably will) have duplicate codes used, etc.

Re-typing the names is a very bad solution for the reasons you noted and others, and should be avoided. Use the suggestion that I wrote before and allow the interviewers to modify the list of the members directly.

Best, Sergiy

Hi Sergiy,

Thank you. I am sorry for bothering you again, but I am still quite confused about how to modify a list. That is exactly what we want to do, and I have been trying for the past week or so to figure it out. Is there an example of a survey that has done this or any documentation explaining how to allow interviewers to modify a list directly?

Thank you!
Abbie

Abbie,

a text list question will be open for modifications (adding/removing list items) by the interviewers as long as its scope is:INTERVIEWER. There is nothing special that you need to do about it as a designer of the questionnaire.

Best, Sergiy

Hi-very useful thread that clarifies pre-loading for panel quite well.

Best, Amrita.