Interviews filtering bug

Hi,
when I import questionaire and then I change name of questionaire, after importing new questionaire (ver.2) filtering by version is not working.
If you select some version, name of filered questionaire is changer to original name where is only ver.1. So its not possible to filter ver.2 or 3…
For example on demo server.

1 Like

This questionnaire’s title has been changed (I assume from the screenshot) to reflect the update of the questionnaire (V1 → V2).

Survey Solutions HQ automatically assigns versions for the questionnaires that you import. That is what you see in the questionnaire version field.

The Designer is doing the same internally, but only shows you the most recent version.
If you need to mark certain milestones in the questionnaire - there is a page with metadata about the questionnaire (click the 🛈 icon in the toolbar) . This includes the version field which you can edit.

The following thread has a relevant discussion:

This is something that is unlikely to change in the nearest versions.

Also, specifically for the DEMO server example shown, the user has also fixed a typo thus introducing a new variant of writing the title.

Both titles will be selectable in the questionnaire field. And only the corresponding versions will be shown for each. In this case: only ver.1 for the spelling with the typo, and ver. 2 and ver. 3 for the version without a typo.

The questionnaire title is rather long. You can pretty much expect numerous inconveniences if you continue with it. I’d suggest staying in the 10-16 letters range, something like “TMPP2021” and “TMPP2021-Audit”, or if the survey runs for multiple years, even removal of the year.

Both titles will be selectable in the questionnaire field. And only the corresponding versions will be shown for each. In this case: only ver.1 for the spelling with the typo, and ver. 2 and ver. 3 for the version without a typo.

Yes both titles are selectable, and its right i see only ver.2 and ver.3. if ver.1 have a different name.
But if you will try to filter ver.2 or ver.3 in this questionaire its impossible. Because title will be changed back to ver.1 title.

Yes, I know that name is too long. Its not my questionaire, I just use it to show you a bug.

Dear @martinb , thank you for explaining. The last summary is exactly how I would enter it into the bug tracker:

Under certain conditions, selecting a version of the questionnaire causes the title of the questionnaire to change, and cancels the version selection in the filter found at the Interviews page. Observed under the following conditions: when selecting a version of a questionnaire imported after a title change, in presence of the same questionnaire, which was imported before the title was changed. The questionnaire selection is reverting to the original questionnaire title.

This behavior is inconsistent with the users expectations for a dynasty of questionnaires:
1-X, 2-X, 3-Y, 4-Y, 5-Z

The expectations reasonably are:
A) each distinct title is shown separately, upon selection of the title, only the versions bearing this title are shown (e.g. if Y is selected, versions 3 and 4 may be selected), or:

B) one common title is determined (first, last, or using some other rule), and shown in the filter by questionnaire title (for the same example: if Z is selected, versions 1,2,3,4,5 are shown, only Z is selectable). All versions of that questionnaire imported to the server according to this template will be shown.

1 Like

I would prefer B. The practice of creating versions of questionnaire for reasons other than changes in the same survey should not be promoted. A copy of the questionnaire in designer should be used if the same questionnaire is used in a different region/time.

This doesn’t happen.

Currently, the filter for questionnaire shows X, Y and Z, but selecting X or Y selects Z. And only 5 will be shown in the version filter. There is no way of filtering data for questionnaires 1-X, 2-X, 3-Y, 4-Y