Filtering answers of a single-select categorical question based on multiple external numeric variables

Hello all !
I have a filtering problem. I have three numeric variables, say VAR1, Var2, VAR3.
Then I have a categorical question with three options. I’d like each option to show up only if an associated variable is >= 1.
Thus, I tried as a filter to my categorical question:

VAR1 >= 1 ? @optioncode == 1 :
VAR2 >= 1 ? @optioncode == 2 :
VAR3 >= 1 ? @optioncode == 3 :
true

With the aim to show @optioncode 1 only if VAR1 >= 1 , etc.
I can’t find any examples of that in the public examples.
Many thanks for your help guys :slight_smile:

Cheers
Noé B

Hello Noe,

your question didn’t receive any answers in more than a week’s time. See some advice here on how to make sure your questions get answered:

Best, Sergiy

Hello @sergiy ,

Thanks for your answer.
Even reading the guidelines, I don’t see how to make this more clear. I’m just looking for a general syntax for filtering using multiple conditions :slight_smile:

Maybe the problem is too simple, I don’t know.
Thanks anyway!
Noé

Hello all,

I came back on my problem with a second look, and I just did not try to encapsulate my different conditions into parenthesis. That was the key. Basically, if you have different conditional expressions (eg. VAR1 >= 1 ? @optioncode == 1 : true) separated by logical operators (eg. && or ||), they should be each between parenthesis. I thought that the console would read each expression separately by default, but it doesn’t.

Anyway, the solution here is :
**(VAR1 < 1 ? @optioncode != 1 : true) **
&&
(VAR2 < 1 ? @optioncode != 2 : true)
&&
(VAR3 < 1 ? @optioncode != 3 : true)

Hope that helps !
Noé

The operator precedence and order of evaluation is described comprehensively here:

No, there is only one filtering expression. It may be quite complex and handle numerous cases, but in the end it should evaluate to logical true (and then the corresponding option will be shown) or logical false (and then the corresponding option will not be shown). If an exception occurs during the evaluation of the filtering expression the behavior will be the same as for the false result.

Best, Sergiy

1 Like