Use cases: Frequently, survey collect date and time in different formats than what Survey Solutions allows directly. Examples:
- Facility opening/closing time. Consists of HH:MM AM/PM
- Harvest time. Consists of MM/YYYY.
- Year enterprise founded. Consist of YYYY
- Bonus: duration or several dates (see another user’s request here)
- Where a broader question type exists, create more options (e.g., MM/YYYY should be an option for the date question)
- Where necessary, create new question types (e.g., time questions with HH:MM AM/PM seem like a new question type)
See ODK’s date and time widgets here.
It seems like Anroid has selectors for each of the proposed new question types. It is just a matter of creating question types/variants that utilize these existing selectors.
All of the above needs have work-arounds. But those work-arounds require more time of the CAPI app developer. For example, to capture opening time, one needs to create 3 fields–hour (numeric), minute (numeric), AM/PM (single-select)–and write validations to ensure that the combined inputs make sense.