Error: 28000: no pg_hba.conf entry for host

Hi everybody,
When I’m installing SS I get next error: 28000: no pg_hba.conf entry for host “x.x.x.x”, user “postgres”, database “postgres”, SSL off

Help needed how to resolve this.

Have you tried googling the error message?

Yes, but I didn’t find anything helpful till now. I would really need a help from someone who did set up Survey Solutions on Windows 2019 server and managed to come to working SS which is able to run CAPI (on tablets which synchronise with server) project.

The error indicates that the client application is trying to connect to the database from ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx but this was not allowed.

The access rules to the PostgreSQL database are managed with the pg_hba.conf file. On the fresh installation there is already a default rule allowing connections from the same machine (local ip address of 127.0.0.1).

The settings are specified in the form of 5 columns:
# TYPE DATABASE USER ADDRESS METHOD

Therefore, to allow access to the database from another ip (say, 192.168.12.10), you will have to add a line
host all all 192.168.12.10/32 md5

You can find more details on the pg_hba.conf file here.

We had direct communication with @znuderl_branko and in his case the situation was simpler - as both application and database were installed on the same server (and since postgres by default allows local connections as I wrote above) he didn’t need to modify pg_hba.conf file, just put 127.0.0.1 as a database server address in the connection details of the web application.