Duplicate interviews created on tablet

After looking at the log actions it seems at least 10 interviews were created from a partial synced assignment. It seems to only be happening to one of our interviewers. a portion of todays actions log is below.

We are running a older version of SS: 22.09.01 as we had some problems with our Android 7 and 8 tablets. Our HBS survey still has another 6 months in the field. We are hope to get new tablets within a month’s time so that we can upgrade the server.

Is there any explanation on what causes this? It only seems to be happening with 3 assignments for this interviewer.

Regards

Neville

Multiple interviews can be created from a single assignment, see: Assignments

Good day Sergiy,
I have figured out part of the problem, I double checked the upload file and the _quantity was set to -1(Census mode) instead of 1. So they can generate questionnaires. I will have to archive assignments not started and replace them.

However it shouldn’t happen as they should have used the Started tab to complete their form.

Neville

1. This is pretty much what I expected. The program behaved as intended. Indeed, if you specify -1 for the _quantity parameter the interviewers will be able to create unlimited number of questionnaires interviews from those assignments.

2. You don’t have to archive the assignments. You can just revise the quantity in the Headquarters for existing assignments and the new value will be transmitted to the interviewers at their next synchronization.

3. Identifying the assignments where more than 1 interview was collected is easy both in the software interface (sort by COLLECTED column in the assignments list) and in the data (collapse your main data by assignment to see how many records originated from each assignment).

Best, Sergiy

Thanks Sergiy,

I have started to revise the assignments, what happens with those multiple interviews when I revise the quantity? I believe they only have 1 with interview data in it.

Regards

Neville

How do I remove the extra interviews? The extra interviews have a status of completed. I was thinking of rejecting them to some “error interviewer” so that they cannot be exported.

Regards

Neville

You can not remove/delete individual interviews within the Survey Solutions Headquarters application.

But yes, I usually instruct teams to ASSIGN (not reject!) such “trash” interviews to a dedicated HQ user that I created (call it ‘TRASH_ACC123’ or similar). This way, data processors can more easily identify interviews that might need to be dropped during data collation (column responsible in interview__diagnostics file: TRASH_ACC12).

However: Note that all interviews of a particular questionnaire version will be exported (let’s ignore filter by date & interview status here). So the Survey Team needs to clearly document these cases and inform data processors.

Just my two cents!
Best
Peter

Technically you can under some circumstances, which do not apply here.

Assigning to a particular HQ account doesn’t shield them from other HQ-users, which would still see that in their pipeline. Perhaps you can elaborate by pointing to instruction sheets/manuals which describe the implemented protocols.

Don’t ignore the interview status. That is precisely the parameter that allows you to specify what exactly you wish to get exported - ALL interviews are needed sometimes to facilitate processing outside of Survey Solutions, but SOME interviews are also needed for other purposes, for example as a ‘clean’ deliverable.

I think this is a better strategy, which has been practiced for years, and it manifests more prominently that yes, some work was done and the interviews are preserved as evidence, and that they do have some problems, and by rejecting to the bottom of the hierarchy you deny these problematic interviews to be exported together with the clean ones, and by assigning to a “trash bin” interviewer you manifest that no action will be taken on them.

Other ways of dealing with this situation involve writing a particular comment or (if this was anticipated at the design-time) a supervisor-level question which determines the subsequent fate of the interview.

Hope this helps, Sergiy