Dial phone number directly from Interviewer app

Since most of our surveys are call survey since the pandemic, It would be far easier if there is dial option in the app itself.
Now what we are doing is, We prefill the phone numbers to the interviewers and they note down the number in paper, open the dialer and type that number and dial it. by doing this the chances of dialing the wrong number is high.
but if there is dial option next to the prefilled phone number than by just clicking that button would be enough to save time and contacting the intended number

This would imply a dependency of running on the phone rather than on the tablet. Something that Survey Solutions is free of now.

Consider using a second device as described here:

https://docs.mysurvey.solutions/interviewer/special/cati/

but a option to call a number would be a great addition… doesnt have to make it compulsary so tablet user can just ignore it… many other app(data collection app) have it so I hope you consider it

Hello @yubraj,

what are the laws regulating recording telephone conversations in your country?

Thank you, Sergiy

as far as I know you can record it after getting consent from the person. We ask for their consent to record the call. if the person agrees, the interview goes ahead

A recent review of the call-recording apps (July 05, 2021) has concluded that:

Call recorder apps have a lot of issues. Android’s support is sketchy at best and it’s actually quite difficult to record calls on newer versions of Android. There are some ways around it. Many call recorders record the loudspeaker, similar to a voice recorder app, but that requires you to make all of your calls over speakerphone. Others have different ways, but require complicated set-ups and insane amounts of permissions. Google has made it very difficult to make these work. Some of these may work in Android 8.0 and earlier and some may work in Android 9 and 10. It’s honestly impossible to tell for sure on every device. Those that work on Android 10 have complicated installation instructions and even then, it’s not guaranteed. Thus, we guarantee nothing here. We got all of these to work at least once on at least one tester phone and on at least one version of Android.

Regarding “…many other app(data collection app) have it…”. Could you please provide a list of specific app names and links where they have dialing + covert conversation recording + interviewing capabilities on the same device? If possible, please indicate compatibility with Android 10+.

I see this as a great value - option to dial from the interviewer app (which redirects to the phone app). See example of the google calendar which automatically displays this dial icon if a Webex meet link is added to the description.

If an identifying question can be marked as a phone number. Then it can have a call button added for the interviewer. This can only be done if the device has sim/calling option (I am not sure if android allows for this, just a suggestion).

Recording these calls can have ethical/legal implications.

I think It does, In RCS app you can call directly from the app(it directs to dailer from phone)