Consider increasing limit of 400 objects per section

interviewer
designer
(Arthur Shaw) #1

Use case. Many questionnaires have a long series of questions that are administered to all (eligible) members of the household–for example, sections on demographics, education, health, food eaten way from home, etc. Many of these questionnaires intend for this series of questionnaires to be administered as an individual interview–that is, the interviewer administers member 1 demographics, education, health, etc. before moving to member 2. But because of Survey Solutions’ current limits, only 400 objects are allowed per section, meaning that most sections have their own roster. Ideally, the limit on the number of objects per section would be changed such that all of the questions/variables/subsections pertaining to individuals could be included in a single roster in a single section, allowing interviewers to continue with all relevant questions without leaving a given household member’s roster row. Because Interviewer renders objects progressively (rather than all in section), the 400 object limit may no longer be necessary as a safeguard to preserve good user experience.

Work-arounds: If the sum of all member-level objects exceeds the limit of 400 objects, there are two work-arounds. The first is for interviewers to navigate the Interviewer application such that they move from one section to the next while sticking with the same household member. The second, recently made possible, is for the CAPI designer to add to add after the last question in each roster row a static text with link to the first question in the next roster. The only caveat, I think, is that this won’t work if the next section is disabled per row-level enabling condition.

(Misha) #2

This request falls into my category “I want more”. While I understand the rational of Arthur’s request, I am not immediately excited about this proposal.
It would take at least an hour to answer 400 questions. So, it is natural to assume that such large groups of questions should be split into sections.
While Interviewer can handle large sections, the Designer is more limited and might not work well on the weak computers.
It will also opens possibilities for system abuse. Instead of thinking about good questionnaire design people will be just dumping questions into one section.