Bad practice

Commenting on the image posted by Nina Jovanovic in a different thread, this is really a bad practice to attach the user name and password on a sticker to the tablet:

This defies the purpose of the password protection and puts the data privacy and security at risk.
For other password advice, refer to this article.

Thanks Sergiy for pointing this out. While this picture fits perfectly into the description of “bad practices” I have to point out that it lacks context. These tablets have not been taken to the field yet, which was clear from my previous post. Moreover, the pre-specified pass will be changed during enumerator training, with each enumerator individually. We can all agree that installing the interviewer app and setting up require several hours of good internet connection, that is not readily available in remote areas. Especially when there is a large number of tablets, some things have to be done in advance for efficiency. Current credentials and the sticker are intended to facilitate training, familiarization with the app, and tablet assignment. They will be subsequently changed and removed before any data collection begins. Stickers are there to be easily removed :slight_smile:

I agree, and the idea was not to single out your situation, but rather prevent the overall practice of stickers with passwords, which continue to be the case in many operations.

This depends on the number of tablets, of course, but shouldn’t take more than 5-6 minutes per each. If it takes 5-6 hours to set up one tablet, please explain what is it that you are doing.

The most time-consuming part of setting up Survey Solutions Interviewer - downloading and installing the application can be done without the knowledge of interviewer credentials, you can pre-set the tablets with the software and let the interviewers log in already during the training.

Note that:

• interviewers can’t change their own passwords,
  • supervisor doesn’t have to know an interviewer’s password to change it, and that
  • internet connection will still be required to receive the new (changed) password to the tablet.

So in the remote location of the training you will still need at least some internet connectivity for this task, and correspondingly I fail to see any advantage of entering the interviewers’ credentials into the tablets during their setup.

The rest really depends on the logistics and circumstances of the training.

NB: in a future version we will require the interviewers to change any password assigned to them by a different user before they can proceed to work.