Audio audit by question

Hello Survey Solutions team.

Sometimes we create (in the designer) questionnaires with many questions or lists, then we decide to activate the audio audit, but this could generate a large file (big size) to sincronize and exporte.

So, it might be a good idea to define in the designer what questions we want to audit.

For example, if my questionnaire has 300 questions, but I’m only interested in auditing 10 questions, in this case, my file of audio audit of only 10 questions is smaller than my file when I decide to activate the audio audit for the questionnaire.

Perhaps this could be a good idea to active the audio audit in questionnaires with many questions or dinamic rosters.

Thanks for this amazing tool.

Hi, Kevin,

suppose you’ve marked question q121 in the section A (with questions q1…q300) as one with desired audio audit. When should the recording start? when should it stop?

There is no way of telling which question the interviewer is reading/asking now. Hence the whole interview is recorded.

While the files may be large, you don’t have to activate audio audit for every interview, but place the flag strategically. this will reduce the subsequent work load on supervision.

Hi, Sergiy,

I agree with you, that is a problem know when should start and stop the recording.
But maybe can define a process like this (It’s just an idea):
If Q15 is the question that wish recording with audio audit.
Start recording when Q14 is answered
Stop recording when Q15 more one minute (maybe needs a few time) is answered.

But what happen if the interviewer answered Q14 and he stop the interview or move to another section in the interview or Q15 isn’t enable? Then for those cases should be necessary define a default time to recording.

It’s just an idea and can be more analyze if you know some event reported in the paradata file that let you start or stop the recording audio audit.

Exactly that is the best way to do it. Just somes interviews choosen random strategically.

just some problems with this approach would be:

1. the interviewer answers q14, recording starts, q15, recording finishes, then goes to q14 (for any reason to change the value there), recording starts again, the interviewer proceeds to q16, but the recording expects to record q15.

2. interviewer answers q14, which actives q14.5, which was not active before, recording starts, q14.5 is asked by the interviewer.

3. interviewer reads q14, gets, but doesn’t enter the answer, asks q15, then enters both values (typical behavior in “Did you buy any…?”, if yes “How much?”)

etc, etc.

If there is any software that is doing this in a NOT-one-question-per-screen mode, please point me to it.

In other words, we can only start the recording BEFORE the interviewer gets a chance to see the question. Otherwise he can ask the question, and then start doing something to which we can react. So we start the recording BEFORE the interview, which means before any question is displayed. Still the interviewer who has done a bunch of interviews would know the first question by heart (in simple surveys, without branching on preloaded data) and can ask it even before opening the interview.

I know those problem with this approach.

Yesterday when I commented it also thought in those cases where the interviewer has others actions differents than expected.

No, I don’t know.
I had this idea because one person asked me if Survey Solutions allowed audio auditing by questions or by sections.

But with your explain I am clear about how works audio audit in Survey Solutions.